Some minor issues with my website

Home Forums Gillion Theme Some minor issues with my website

Home Forums Gillion Theme Some minor issues with my website

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RESOLVED Posts
  • theburnabykid
    Participant

To begin, I just wanted to say thanks so much for creating such a great theme. I’d never be able to do something this nice on my own.

I have some minor problems that I was wondering about addressing.

Before I begin, here is the website…

http://theburnabykid.com/nwmb/

First, the website does not always display correctly on mobile. On my own smartphone, it doesn’t work on the default browser, but it does work on Chrome. Individual posts show up, but the main page, category pages, tags, search results, etc. are sometimes missing. I don’t know how to figure out exactly what the problem is. I am using a responsive card layout. The header and footer shows, but where the main content should be is blank. I have some custom css in there, but removing that css doesn’t change the problem. For what it’s worth, I am happy to use a temporary workaround that doesn’t make the website as pretty as the desktop version — I just want stuff to show up.

Second, I was wondering about re-purposing the review feature. Mostly, I don’t need to use any of the review features EXCEPT for the one that puts the score in the post’s small circle on the main page, and I would like to use something other than numbers. Is there some way to manipulate the stylesheet or the code to do this? I’m happy to make the change myself in the editor and keep track of the change in case there’s a theme update and I have to do it again.

Third, is there a way to override the automatic image resizing? Right now I have a workaround that I’m comfortable using, especially since the images’ orientations might require using it anyway. Still, I might want to use it in the future.

Thanks for any help you can offer on these issues.

Sincerely,

TBK

Hi TBK,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

First, the website does not always display correctly on mobile. On my own smartphone, it doesn’t work on the default browser, but it does work on Chrome. Individual posts show up, but the main page, category pages, tags, search results, etc. are sometimes missing. I don’t know how to figure out exactly what the problem is. I am using a responsive card layout. The header and footer shows, but where the main content should be is blank. I have some custom css in there, but removing that css doesn’t change the problem. For what it’s worth, I am happy to use a temporary workaround that doesn’t make the website as pretty as the desktop version — I just want stuff to show up.

This can be due to plugin conflict on your site so please try temporary deactivating all plugins except Unyson plugin and see whether everything works fine and then enable the plugins one by one to see which plugin is conflicting if any.

Second, I was wondering about re-purposing the review feature. Mostly, I don’t need to use any of the review features EXCEPT for the one that puts the score in the post’s small circle on the main page, and I would like to use something other than numbers. Is there some way to manipulate the stylesheet or the code to do this? I’m happy to make the change myself in the editor and keep track of the change in case there’s a theme update and I have to do it again.

I am not sure which review feature you are talking about so could you please share me the screenshot of it?

Third, is there a way to override the automatic image resizing? Right now I have a workaround that I’m comfortable using, especially since the images’ orientations might require using it anyway. Still, I might want to use it in the future.

The following code in the theme resizes the images so you have to overwrite this in Gillion child theme using below code.

add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );
    set_post_thumbnail_size( 585, 372, true );
    add_image_size( 'gillion-portrait', 372, 484, true );
    add_image_size( 'gillion-square', 585, 585, true );
    add_image_size( 'gillion-square-small', 220, 220, true );
    add_image_size( 'gillion-square-micro', 80, 80, true );
    add_image_size( 'gillion-landscape-small', 420, 265, true );
    add_image_size( 'gillion-landscape-large', 1200, 675, true );
    add_image_size( 'gillion-masonry', 585, 1170, false );

Best regards,
    Shufflehound team

theburnabykid
    Participant

Thanks for the reply!

Disabling the plugins didn’t have any effect.

With regards to the review score, I’m referring to what’s circled in the screenshot… What I’m wondering is, is it possible somewhere in the CSS or PHP files to add that circle to a post, and change the number to something like “A+”?

Thanks for the information on the graphics. I will test it and let you know if everything works.

-A

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

theburnabykid
    Participant

To follow up, I tried different blog layouts. Everything seemed to work except for masonry and card masonry, so it seems to be specifically how masonry renders on the phone.

theburnabykid
    Participant

Solution for this topic

Haha, ok, sorry, to follow up again, I was able to come up with workarounds for both #1 and #2 above. For #1, I’ve set up a redirect for people reading it on mobile that goes to a blog page layout that’s working, and for #2, I found the necessary code in the helpers file.

If you want to consider this closed, I’m cool with that.

Awesome great to see you got that resolved.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Have a fantastic day!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)