Stop services? (Privacy concerns)

Home Forums Gillion Theme Stop services? (Privacy concerns)

Home Forums Gillion Theme Stop services? (Privacy concerns)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • timo.borkowski
    Participant

I run Gillion on WordPress 5.0.X. UBlock Origin tells me that it is connecting to Google Analytics, DoubleClick (also Google) and Google. For privacy reasons we would like to keep this as low as possible and switch off all non-essential services (at least Google Analytics, but also the other two services). How can we block the connection?

The error is not caused by other themes/plug-ins.

Hi @timo.borkowski,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I am not sure which error you are referring to so could you please describe it a bit more in detail by sharing its screenshot so that I can help you?

Best regards,
    Shufflehound team

timo.borkowski
    Participant

Hi,

thank you very much for your quick response.

Since we are using your theme, the website (frontend) is building up connections to Google-services like Google Analytics, DoubleClick, ggpht.com and Google (directly). Due to privacy reasons we don’t what this.

You can visit our website (www.top-zone.de) and with the browser-plug-in uBlock Origin (or another, which checks the connections, which are build up by the side) you can see these connections.

I’ve attached a screenshot. There you can see the following connections:

• top-zone.de – OK (it’s our analytics tool)
    • cdinstagram.com – OK (it’s the Instagram plug-in)
    • doubleclick.net
    • ggpht.com
    • google-analytics.com
    • google.com
    • steadycdn.com – OK (it’s a paywall-tool)
    • steadyhq.com – OK (it’s a paywall-tool)
    • youtube.com – OK (because of the YouTube-videos)
    • ytimg.com – OK (because of the thumbnails of the YouTube-Videos)

We do not want, that the website is building up connections to these four connections (bold) from Google. Before your theme, we’ve used other themes (with YouTube-videos as well) and there were no connections to these Google-services.

Our question is: How can we prevent the connection to these services?

Thank you very much. I hope the information are better now. 😉

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The theme uses Google font so it only makes a connection to google.com and all other domains are not accessed by the theme but maybe by the plugins or content that you are using on your site.

timo.borkowski
    Participant

Alright, thank you very much for your help. 🙂

You are most welcome here 🙂

timo.borkowski
    Participant

I went looking again. I have noticed the following.

1) There is no connection to fonts.google.com. We have been hosting them locally on the server for a long time.

2) Pages without YouTube video embedding will not connect to the following domains: doubleclick.net (googleads.g.doubleclick.net, static.doubleclick.net), ggpht.com (yt3.ggpht.com), google.com (www.google.com), googleusercontent.com (lh5.googleusercontent.com), youtube.com (www.youtube.com), ytimg.com (i.ytimg.com). I have attached a suitable screenshot to you.

Conclusion:
    It is due to the embedding of YouTube videos. However, we didn’t have these problems before using your theme. That the website connects to ytimg.com and youtube.com because of the videos is normal, but all other domains are strange. doubleclick.net is even very unwanted, because this is difficult from a legal point of view (privacy).

Can you help us here? Where does the embedding of the videos take place in the code? Then we can have a look at it. Maybe you already have an idea.

About a feedback we would be very happy. 🙂

edit: There is a new screenshot. Last time the browser didn’t load the site correctly. The connection to Instagram wasn’t there…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The theme does not call any of them and you can check all theme code for it where you won’t get it.

It may be called by the plugins. video or advertisements use don your site but I am not sure exactly which.

If you don’t know how to troubleshoot it then you can consider hiring a WordPress developer to troubleshoot it for you. You can hire a developer from any freelance site.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)