Setting up new multi topic blog

Home Forums Gillion Theme Setting up new multi topic blog

Home Forums Gillion Theme Setting up new multi topic blog

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • johnphays
    Participant

I’m changing a current WordPress website from a “WordPress developer” specific website to a general blogging website where I’ll blog about several different topics.  I really liked the demo look of Gillion.

How do I set this up, particularly where I can create a blog post, check off a box for its category, and then have categories in the menu that show all the blog posts for each particular category.  Does that make sense?

Shufflehound

Hi there,

Thank you for your question.

Yes, it makes sense, but we are not completely sure how you want it to work in frontend. Maybe you can give us some examples?

Best regards,

Shufflehound team

johnphays
    Participant

Sure,

So when you go to Johnphays.com, I want it to look like the Lifestyle demo of Gillion, showing my latest blog post thumbnail image in the main large image with description, and likewise for all my other recent blog posts near it like the Lifestyle look.

For the menu I want categories like “Movie Reviews”, “Comic Reviews”, “Recipes”, “Health & Fitness”, “Photography”, etc…

For each of those, I want them to go to pages featuring the blog posts that go with each category, such that when I write a new blog post, I can simply tag it, and it will appear on my main page as my latest blog, but will also go on the page it’s related to.

Make more sense?

Thanks!

Shufflehound

Yes, thank you for these details.

About your questions:

– “Where I can create a blog post, check off a box for its category”

Here is a simple tutorial on how it works

– “Have categories in the menu that show all the blog posts for each particular category”

This will be a little more difficult. Simplest way to do that would be:

1. Install lifestyle demo content (under Appearance > Import Demo Data)
    2. Duplicate it’s front page (with Duplicate Posts plugin) multiple times and name each page of the category you want
    3. Change each newly duplicated page options to show only category posts you want to see (for example at the bottom of page under Page Settings > Blog > Blog Category and for each Visual Composer post element use Show Only Specific Categories option)
    4. Assign pages to navigation (you can follow this tutorial)

Hopefully it helps.

johnphays
    Participant

Could I simply rename some of the demo pages and their corresponding categories?

Now that I have the rather large demo installed, what’s the best way to clear that content and make it ready for my content but keep the cool design that the demo gave it?

Thanks!

Could I simply rename some of the demo pages and their corresponding categories?

Yes you can but just make sure to also change their slugs.

Now that I have the rather large demo installed, what’s the best way to clear that content and make it ready for my content but keep the cool design that the demo gave it?

You can bulk delete content as described in the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-delete-all-posts/

johnphays
    Participant

That seems to have worked.

The Gilliion logo is still at the top of the website.  I went in and added a header banner, that didn’t change anything.  My banner doesn’t show up and Gillion is still there.

Also, even though I added my social media links, the Gillion instagram feed images are still showing on the site and none of my social media stuff is showing.

Glad it worked for you.

To help us keep support thread separates could you please create new thread for each of your other questions instead of asking them in your single thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)