Thank you for reply.
I used the debug tool and it didn’t fix the issue.
Here is the blog page I was sharing:
This issue was showing up when I attempted to install the new theme update. I have the option of previewing before going live with the theme update. When I launched the preview, that is when the issue showed up. (both the change in the menu color as you attached, along with the logo/header disappearing).
Once I saw that, I did NOT go forward with the theme update.
Let me know if I have to update for you to see this, but also how to fix it quickly so I’m not left with those errors.
Solution for this topic
Ok I found what the issue was. The domain needs to be correct in 2 areas in the Google API Console. Not only in the domain verification (which it already was correct), but also under the API key settings itself.
My domain was not working when the “www.” was included. I removed it, and the map started working.