Controlling Post Excerpts

Home Forums Gillion Theme Controlling Post Excerpts

Home Forums Gillion Theme Controlling Post Excerpts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Paul33
    Participant

I’m trying to control the post excerpts/previews on my home page. They seem to be defaulting to 30 words but I can’t see any control anywhere to change that.

I really need to have the words “READ MORE” (or similar) at the end of each excerpt but that function doesn’t appear to work. I set it on the post page but it refuses to appear on the home page preview.

In an ideal world I would prefer to use the manual excerpt field on the post pages in order to control preview content but I can’t find any way to add a “READ MORE” tag on the end of a manual excerpt.

Any solution that allows me to control preview length AND add a “READ MORE” (or similar) tag on the end of the preview will do for now !

Hi Paul,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You can try achieving this by using the attached small plugin specially developed for you that contains some custom code and modify it however you want to.

Best regards,
    Shufflehound team

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Paul33
    Participant

Thanks for that but, and I apologise if I’m being totally stupid, what do I do with that plugin ?

I have installed it and activated it but then what do I do and where do I go to tweek it should I wish to as I can’t see anything new anywhere ?

The plugin doesn’t have any settings. After activating it you will see the result on your site.

You have to only change the shared plugin code if you want to change excerpt length changed by plugin.

Paul33
    Participant

Okay, I can see the READ MORE tag if I remove the manual excerpt and run with the default excerpt based on number of words but where do I change this. Do I have to modify the .php file and then re-zip it up and re-install or upload by FTP or can I change it within the theme ?

Also, the READ MORE currently appears immediately after the last word without any spacing which looks a bit messy. How would I change that .php file to include a line break and place the READ MORE underneath the excerpt wording ?

Okay, I can see the READ MORE tag if I remove the manual excerpt and run with the default excerpt based on number of words but where do I change this. Do I have to modify the .php file and then re-zip it up and re-install or upload by FTP or can I change it within the theme ?

Yes you have to edit the .php file and rezip and reinstall it to achieve this.

Also, the READ MORE currently appears immediately after the last word without any spacing which looks a bit messy. How would I change that .php file to include a line break and place the READ MORE underneath the excerpt wording ?

We can achieve this developing custom CSS code so could you please share me your site URL where it’s displaying so that i can help you to achieve it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)