Is it wise to create a child theme? Newbie

Home Forums Jevelin Theme Is it wise to create a child theme? Newbie

Home Forums Jevelin Theme Is it wise to create a child theme? Newbie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RESOLVED Posts
  • SpyWarehouse
    Participant

I am very new to the wordpress / woocommerce design and development and have already been tweaking my ecommerce shop, when i stumbled across this (attached). Regarding a child theme!

So my question is, am i to now go and redesign a whole new theme in the child theme and then continue working there or can i export everything i have done already and then work in the child theme?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Solution for this topic

Hi @SpyWarehouse,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

The child theme is only required if you need to make changes in the theme files.

If you have already made changes in the theme files then you have to copy the modified files in the child theme on the same path.

You can get more information about child theme in the following page.

http://freewptp.com/why-and-how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/

Best regards,
    Shufflehound team

SpyWarehouse
    Participant

Thank you very much for the reply.

What would be considered as changes? If we take into consideration that all the default images and text etc would need to be changed.

Its quite confusing, as we know that the theme would inevitably require updates and so it is imperative that the child theme is where one MUST start his design! Yet there is no mention that this is where one must begin.

The theme itself provides some options in the following path to change its design.

Admin Area -> Appearance -> Theme Settings

Also you can use page builder to create pages and change its design.

The child theme is must when you want to make changes in the parent theme if you can’t achieve it using theme options or using any plugin.

We know the importance of child theme therefore we also provide child theme along with Jevelin theme and recommend users to use child theme.

SpyWarehouse
    Participant

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Last question based on your reply – Are the changes you are referring to “custom code” into the parent theme, if the changes can’t be achieved with the provided options and / or plugins?

There is no need for me to edit and use a child theme, if i stick to what you have given me to use inside the parent theme itself?

Very new to wordpress, so i am trying to understand more in depth into when the child theme is to be used. As i dont want to complete my site and then get f***ed over because of an update! So if you can explain to me as if i was a “child” lmfao

Are the changes you are referring to “custom code” into the parent theme, if the changes can’t be achieved with the provided options and / or plugins?

Yes

There is no need for me to edit and use a child theme, if i stick to what you have given me to use inside the parent theme itself?

Yes you are right.

SpyWarehouse
    Participant

Thank you, i understand fully now!

Awesome, i will stick to what you have provided to use. It will be safer in the long run, quicker and easier.

Thank you once again!

You are most welcome here 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)