Is The Child Theme Necessary?

Home Forums Jevelin Theme Is The Child Theme Necessary?

Home Forums Jevelin Theme Is The Child Theme Necessary?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • dereksieb
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for the awesome theme! I’m a little confused on when I need to use the child theme. I have read many articles about it but I still don’t fully understand.

1.) Do you recommend starting out by installing the parent theme, then installing the child theme and only working in the child theme?

2.) If I am using the Unyson, YellowPencil, and WPBakery editors, then do I need to use the child theme or can I use all these page editors in the parent theme without affecting the code?

3.) If I work in the parent theme, and customize my entire site using Unyson, YellowPencil, and WPBakery, then update the theme in the future, will I lose all my content and customizations?

4.) Or is the ONLY time you would need to use a child theme when you click “Appearance” > “Editor” in the WP admin?

5.) Does using the child theme slow down the site at all?

6.) Why would anyone not use the child theme?

I know these questions are similar, but if you could answer each one, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek

Hi Derek,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

1.) Do you recommend starting out by installing the parent theme, then installing the child theme and only working in the child theme?

Yes.

2.) If I am using the Unyson, YellowPencil, and WPBakery editors, then do I need to use the child theme or can I use all these page editors in the parent theme without affecting the code?

Yes, you can use all these page editors in the parent theme without affecting the code.

3.) If I work in the parent theme, and customize my entire site using Unyson, YellowPencil, and WPBakery, then update the theme in the future, will I lose all my content and customizations?

No, you won’t If you have not made any changes in the parent theme files.

4.) Or is the ONLY time you would need to use a child theme when you click “Appearance” > “Editor” in the WP admin?

Yes, if you want to edit theme files then you should use child theme.

5.) Does using the child theme slow down the site at all?

No.

6.) Why would anyone not use the child theme?

Most of the WordPress users use child theme.

You can get more information about child theme in the below page.

http://freewptp.com/why-and-how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/

Best regards,
    Shufflehound team

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)