Correctly Overwriting files using the Jevelin Child Theme

Home Forums Jevelin Theme Correctly Overwriting files using the Jevelin Child Theme

Home Forums Jevelin Theme Correctly Overwriting files using the Jevelin Child Theme

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    RESOLVED Posts
  • Gary Fairweather
    Participant

Hi Shufflehound Team,

We have recently purchased the Jevelin theme and I would like some assistance in overwriting the inc/widgets/recent-posts/views/widget.php/ file using the Jevelin child theme.

I was under the impression I simply replicate the directory on the child theme to overwrite it, however it’s not working currently. I basically want the author to be removed from the recent posts widget and it to be replaced by the post date instead.

Hi Gary,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You have to overwrite the whole widget directory on the same path in child theme as described in the following topic.

https://support.shufflehound.com/forums/topic/change-widgets/#post-9266

Best regards,
    Shufflehound team

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

Hi Shufflehound,

Thank you for your response, I have attached my jevelin-child theme folders. The entire parent theme directory is in as per the topic you shared, however its not working still.

Please advise?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

I have also tried a simpler overwrite, namely /jevelin-child/css/responsive.css/ and changes made to this directory are also not taking effect.

If you could please assist as soon as possible as the matter is time sensitive.

Thank you for your response, I have attached my jevelin-child theme folders. The entire parent theme directory is in as per the topic you shared, however its not working still.

Please try using the attached child theme where i have changed function from get_template_directory to get_stylesheet_directory

I have also tried a simpler overwrite, namely /jevelin-child/css/responsive.css/ and changes made to this directory are also not taking effect.

The CSS file is not template file and only template files are overwritable in WordPress child themes.

Find more information about this on the following pages.

http://freewptp.com/why-and-how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/
    https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/advanced-topics/child-themes/
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

Hi Shufflehound,

Thanks for the feedback, I have tried this already as I read another thread on support with this child theme attached to no avail.

From what I have tested if I place code in the functions.php file it makes the change without any hassle. As soon as I look to overwrite other files by duplicating the parent directory, this does not work.

Is it not a case of the child-theme not taking priority over the parent theme or something?

Please advise?

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

If you can give me any solution to edit the files in the jevelin/inc/ directory without actually overwriting the parent theme files that would assist greatly.

This Child Theme is not working as it should and is wasting a lot of time and energy to no avail.

Best Regards,

It seems you are not getting my point here.

Not every child theme is same and the child theme that i have shared above is unique and contains custom code which is working fine for me on my test site.

Have you tried using my above shared child theme?

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

I have tried adding your specific child theme as requested. The style.css and functions.php file work fine but the /inc/ folder is not applying any changes.

I will use a workaround for now, however if you have an alternative I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

It is working fine on my test site so not sure why it is not working for you.

Would you mind if i log in to your site and do some troubleshooting? If this is ok then could you please share me your site log in details privately by adding them in the box having text “Click here to share private content. Only you and forum moderators will bee able see it.”?

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

See login credentials, you will have to change the blog style to style 1 in the theme settings to see the recent posts widget I was trying to edit.

Also bear in mind all my CSS is in the child themes style.css folder so please don’t erase this.

Best Regards

Solution for this topic

I logged in to your site and found you were still using the old widget code in the child theme file so i updated it to make it work.

Could you please check whether it is working fine now?

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

Hi Shufflehound,

Thanks for all your time and effort on this. I clearly am still very new to child themes and their implementation.

It seems to be working now perfectly.

Best Regards,

Gary Fairweather
    Participant

Sorry hopefully my last query,

On the portfolio pages, the project gallery images get cropped to 660 x 660 pixels and lightbox bigger. My question is if it can crop the images from the top and not just in the middle as it is now?

Is there a workaround for this as it looks bad cropped in the middle.

Please advise?

You are most welcome here 🙂

To help us keep support thread separates could you please create new thread for each of your other questions instead of asking them in your single thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

I have replied to your new topic.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)